I was asked, in the depths of some discussion about sexual purity and marriage, if I believed that marriage was good for anything else. Was marriage only for issues of sexual purity? It seems I had talked so much about issues of sexual purity that my readers had lost sight of any other belief I might have.
So let me be very, very clear: there are dozens of reasons for marriage. And all of these are better when the spouses involved are young. Let’s examine some reasons:
1) And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone;.
And this was said, in paradise, in Eden, before there was any question of fornication.
2)Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Obviously the later we marry our children the less they can do this.
3) Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD.
Why would we want our sons to wait for this favor? Or our daughters from providing it?
4) A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife…One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; …(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
Marriage and family are the training ground for eldership (and deacons). At what point do we want to start that training?
5) And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.
God desires marriage in the youth in order to seek a Godly seed.
6)But the younger widows refuse: for when they have begun to wax wanton against Christ, they will marry; 12Having damnation, because they have cast off their first faith. 13And withal they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not. 14I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully. 15For some are already turned aside after Satan.
God commands younger women to marry, bear children, and guide the house… that they may give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully. Paul says unmarried women had already turned aside after Satan.
7) they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, 5To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.
The older women are to teach the younger women to love their husbands. Which implies they have husbands
8) Blessed is every one that feareth the LORD; that walketh in his ways. For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee. Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table. Behold, that thus shall the man be blessed that feareth the LORD. The LORD shall bless thee out of Zion: and thou shalt see the good of Jerusalem all the days of thy life. Yea, thou shalt see thy children’s children, and peace upon Israel.
The one who fears the LORD and walks in his ways will have a fruitful wife, and see his children’s children.
9) Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.
Children are an heritage of the lord, the fruit of the womb is his reward.
10) Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.
Sexual satisfaction, in and of itself, is seen, in Scripture, as a good thing.
So no, marriage is not just an issue of sexual purity. Sexual purity is the area that is massively under attack right now, so I spend a lot of time in those trenches, but it is not the only issue, nor even the most important.
Written by: Vaughn Ohlman
Approved by: Jeff Woodward